For our next podcast recipe we are keeping things sweet with tasty Viennese Whirls. Homemade jam and butter cream filling sandwiched between two light, whirled biscuits. Divine!
They make the perfect mid morning, mid afternoon or midnight snack! Particularly good with a nice cup of tea or strong cup of coffee. But who are we to tell you how to eat your Viennese Whirls? Have one with a glass of wine if you fancy – as long as you enjoy them!
For the jam
- 200g raspberries
- 250g jam sugar
For the biscuits
- 250g very soft unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
For the filling
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the jam, place the raspberries in a small deep saucepan and crush them with a masher. Add the sugar and bring to the boil over a low heat until the sugar has melted. Increase the heat and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully pour into a shallow container. Leave to cool and chill to set.
- For the biscuits, preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas 5. Line 3 baking sheets with baking parchment and using a 4cm round cutter as a guide, draw 8 circles on each sheet of paper, spaced well apart. Turn the paper over so the pencil marks are underneath.
- Measure the butter and icing sugar into a bowl and beat well until pale and fluffy. Sieve in the flour and cornflour and beat well, until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium star nozzle. Pipe 24 swirled rounds (not rosettes), inside the circles on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 13-15 minutes until a pale golden-brown colour. Cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool and harden.
- For the filling, measure the butter into a bowl and sift the icing sugar on top. Add the vanilla extract and beat with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk until very light and smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large start nozzle.
- Spoon a little jam onto the flat side of 12 of the biscuits and place jam side up on a cooling rack. Pipe the butter cream over the jam and sandwich with the remaining biscuits. Dust with icing sugar to decorate.