This bake is a staple on any cake stand, and we believe is a recipe everyone should have in their repertoire! It’s super quick and easy and uses ingredients you probably already have in your cupboards.
For the cake
- 175g soft margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
For the filling
- 5 tablespoons of raspberry or strawberry jam
- A little caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and base line 2 x 18cm sandwich tines with greaseproof paper
- Measure all of the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out.
Tip: if you leave a small well in the centre of the cake it will rise more evenly
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger
- Leave to cool in the tins for a few moments, then turn out
- Peel off the paper and finish cooling on a wire rack
- When completely cool, sandwich the cake together with the jam. Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve.
We made our cake extra decadent and added some cream too. Simply whisk 100ml double cream until it thickens, then fold in a tablespoon of caster sugar. Put into a piping bag with a medium star nozzle and pipe on top of the jam before sandwiching the cakes together.