In our latest podcast episode, we were joined by Guest Baker Sharon Machon. Naturally, we couldn’t let her go without finding out what her favourite thing to bake is and we weren’t disappointed with her answer!
Sharon’s recipe of choice is Shortbread Biscuits. Delicious sugary treats, perfect enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee. With only three ingredients, they are also a cinch to make!
This recipe makes 10 shortbread biscuits.
- 150g plain flour
- 100g butter or margarine
- 50g sugar
- 12g caster sugar (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and stir in well
- Using one hand, knead or squeeze the mixture until it becomes soft like pastry
- Roll our the shortbread mixture until it is 1cm thick
- Using a fancy pastry cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as possible. Place them carefully on a floured baking sheet. Any mixture left over can be kneaded together, rolled out and cut to make extra biscuits
- Prick each biscuit two or three times with a fork. This adds a decoration and keeps the biscuits flat during cooking
- Bake the shortbread biscuits in the middle of the oven until golden brown in colour (about 20 minutes)
- When cooked, sprinkle the biscuits with caster sugar and lift them carefully on to a wire tray to cool.
Tempted? Go on, give this shortbread recipe a go! They would be a real treat to take into the office or share with friends and family. Alternatively, you could hide them eat all by yourself!