As it is Christmas, we are going to share our favourite recipe for using up those turkey leftovers.
This turkey and ham pie makes the perfect meal for any of the days between Christmas and New Year. Let’s face it, they always merge in to one so it’s nice to have a go to recipe up your sleeve. You know, for when the idea of eating chocolate for dinner again loses it’s shine!
We have made this recipe even easier by using ready made and rolled puff pastry.
- Around 600g cooked turkey. Breast meat carved into slices and the brown meat chopped
- Around 600g cooked ham, carved into thick slices
- 75g butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned, halved and finely sliced
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 75g plain flour
- A splash of cider vinegar
- 200ml turkey or chicken stock
- 250ml double cream
- 3tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp chopped tarragon
- Ready rolled puff pastry
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks and thyme and cook very gently for 10-15 mins until soft but not coloured
- Stir in the flour and cook to a sandy paste, then splash in the vinegar and bubble for a moment
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then add the cream and simmer until you have a thick sauce. Stir through the mustard, tarragon and chopped turkey, turn off the heat and leave to cool. Set aside. This filling can be made a day in advance
- Layer some sliced ham or turkey on the bottom of a large pie dish, then spoon and spread over a thin layer of sauce and repeat the layers until you get to the top of your dish. Finish with a final layer of meat, then press down gently.
- As it’s Christmas we didn’t want to spend time making pastry too so used the quick and easy option of ready rolled puff pastry. We cut it into strips and weaved it to make a lattice but you could just lay over a sheet of pastry. See how creative you’re feeling!
- When you’re ready to bake, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 pop it in the over and bake for around 30 mins. Leave to cool slightly before serving up with lots of fresh veggies!