This Coffee Cake recipe has been shared with us by our latest Guest Baker, Deb Morgan.
Deb suffers from food allergies so doesn’t often indulge in cakes or biscuits. When she does, though, she whips up this Gluten Free/Dairy Free Coffee Cake. It’s so good all her friends are knocking down her door for a slice!
For the cake
- 200g butter (use dairy free/vegan butter if preferred)
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g gluten free self-raising flour (Deb uses rice flour)
- 3 tbsp strong black coffee
- 200g cream cheese (use a dairy free/vegan alternative if preferred)
- 50g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/375F/Gas 5
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time
- Beat in the flour
- Mix in two tbsp of the coffee (reserve the third to make coffee icing if desired)
- Divide the mixture between two oiled and lined 20cm/8″ round baking tins (Victoria Sandwich tins)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20/25 minutes. You know its done when a skewer comes out clean
- Cool the sponges on a wire rack
- Once the sponges are cooled, spread the cream cheese onto the bottom layer of the cake, place the second layer on top
- Either sprinkle with icing sugar and serve, or make a coffee icing. To do this, mix the icing sugar with the reserved tbsp of strong coffee, then spread over the top of the cake
- Decorate with walnut halves if you fancy (they’re nice baked in the oven for approx 8/10 minutes before placing on top of the cake). You can also mix some walnuts into the cream cheese filling for added taste and texture.
Just like most cakes, this Gluten Free/Dairy Free Coffee Cake is best enjoyed in large slices with a cup of tea or coffee!