Today we are sharing our recipe for a delicious coffee cake.
Perk up your afternoon with a slice of our favourite coffee cake recipe! Enjoy alone or with a cup of coffee for that extra caffeine fix. Perfect enjoyed whilst listening to one of our latest podcast episodes!
For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 heaped teaspoons of instant coffee
- 225g soft margarine
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For the filling
- 50g soft margarine
- 175g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon of coffee essence
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and base line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper
- Place the eggs in a bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat well until thoroughly blended
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger
- Leave to cool in the tins for a few moments then turn out
- Peel off the paper and finish cooling on a wire rack
- For the icing, blend together the margarine, icing sugar and coffee essence until smooth, only adding the milk if necessary
- Use half of the buttercream to sandwich the cakes together and the remaining to spread on top. We used a piping bag with a medium sized star nozzle for ours.
Tip: When making as all in one cake mixture like this one using a food mixer, try covering the front end of your machine and the bowl with a tea towel to prevent flour covering the entire room! Be careful that the tea towel doesn’t get caught in your mixer though!