For our next podcast recipe we are sharing our favourite way to make cheese scones.
A cheese scone has to be one of the most popular savoury bakes. The perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cuppa on on the side of a steaming bowl of soup. Our favourite way to enjoy our cheese scones, though, is warm from the oven and slathered in butter!
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/2 level teaspoon of salt
- 50g finely grated cheddar cheese
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 50g butter
- 125g milk plus extra for brushing.
- Preheat the oven to 230C/Gas Mark 8 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the grated cheese and Cayenne pepper
- Rub in the butter until it forms fine breadcrumbs
- Add the milk, all at once. Mix to a soft, but not sticky dough
- Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth
- Roll out to about 1.5cm thickness
- Cut into 9 or 10 rounds using a 6cm cutter
- Transfer to baking tray and brush with milk
- Bake towards the top of the oven for 7-10 minutes or until well risen and golden
- Cool on a wire rack.
Is your mouth watering at the idea of a cheese scone fresh from the oven too? If you decide to give our recipe a go, remember to tag us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. We would love to see how your scones turn out!